Undo Your Indulgences
So the holidays have found you going a bit overboard on the food, drinks and/or stress? Not to worry. There are plenty of ways to gently reclaim control and rid your body of the excesses. Here’s how.
1. Get your greens At least 16 ounces of fresh green veggie juice and 1 to 2 cups of lightly steamed green vegetables over brown rice provide your overloaded liver with the vitamins and nutrients it needs after a holiday bender.
2. Wash away your cares To pull out acids and toxins (alcohol is chock-full of ’em!) and speed up recovery, mix 2 cups of Epsom salt, 1⁄2 cup of raw apple cider vinegar, 1⁄4 cup of baking soda and a few drops of lavender essential oil in a warm tub and indulge in a rejuvenating soak.
3. OD on H2O Replenish your body with at least 8 daily cups of filtered water (add lemon juice for an alkaline boost). Try fresh coconut water for extra hydration; it’s packed with electrolytes plus anti-microbial goodies to help ward off illness.
4. Drink green tea Now is not the time to quit caffeine (can you say headaches galore?), but too much coffee will dehydrate you and mess with your energy levels. Try drinking green tea instead. It’s gentler on your system than coffee and full of awesome antioxidants.
5. Sleep it off, sailor You heal while snoozing, so turn in early whenever you can—and try not to eat three to four hours before hitting the sack so that your body can focus on recovery rather than digestion.