White Beans with Chicken Andouille Sausage
This healthy makeover of a soul food classic offers the rich spicy flavor of lean chicken sausage. The white beans benefit from a layering of flavors, with various vegetables added at different times in the cooking process. Combined with a whole grain like brown rice, these beans provide a virtually fat-free protein.<br />
Ingredients1 pound small white beans such as navy beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
7 cups water
1 pound uncured chicken and/or turkey andouille sausage, sliced into ½-inch rounds
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup brown medium-grain rice
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
3 scallions, green parts only, chopped
Nutrition FactsPer serving: 378 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated), 58 g carbohydrates, 22 g protein, 16 g fiber, 582 mg sodium (25% Daily Value)
Read more Healthy Recipes.
Directions1. In a medium-sized stockpot, soak beans in enough water to cover by one inch for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain beans, picking out any dark beans or rocks. Dry pot, pour in olive oil, and place over medium-high heat. Stir in onions. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until onions begin to turn golden and caramelize.
3. Add bell pepper and celery and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to soften. Stir in salt, black pepper, cayenne, crushed red pepper flakes, bay leaf, thyme, and basil.
4. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 hour. If water evaporates so that not all beans are submerged, add more hot water 1 cup at a time.
5. Add sausage and garlic. Return to a simmer and cook for another hour, or until beans are soft and creamy. Meanwhile, cook brown rice according to package instructions.
6. Just before serving, add parsley and scallion tops, and adjust seasonings. Serve over brown rice.