Meatless Monday Recipe: Vegetable Nori Rolls
Join the millions of people that forgo meat on Mondays to improve their health and the health of the planet.
4 cups water
2 cups short grain rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/4 cup mirin
6 sheets nori
1 tablespoon wasabi powder, mixed
with just enough water to make a
1 large carrot, peeled and cut lengthwise
into 1/4-inch strips
1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and
cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips
2 scallions, trimmed and cut into thin
1 avocado, peeled and cut into thin
Small bowl of water (to moisten
fingers when assembling rolls)
1/4 cup tamari
2 teaspoons wasabi powder (add more
if you like it spicy)
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
Bamboo sushi mat
Serves 6. Per serving: 259 calories, 4 g fat (0.6 g saturated), 48 g carbohydrates, 5 g protein, 4 g fiber, 878 mg sodium (38% Daily Value)
and salt to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 45 to 50 minutes, or until rice is cooked and water is absorbed. Spoon rice into a large bowl. Cool to room temperature. Stir in rice vinegar and mirin and mix well.
2. Toast nori by quickly passing it over a low flame, until nori turns green.
3. Assemble rolls by placing one nori sheet on the sushi mat near the bottom edge, shiny side down. Put 3/4 cup rice on nori sheet and use moistened fingers to spread rice evenly, leaving the top two inches of nori bare. Spread a thin strip of wasabi across the middle of the rice. Arrange a couple pieces each of carrots, red peppers, scallions, and avocado on top of wasabi.
4. Bring edges of nori and mat up over rice and vegetables and roll mat, being careful to make sure mat does not get caught in nori roll. Using wet fingertips, moisten the strip of bare nori at the top. Finish rolling and seal.
5. Lift roll off bamboo mat and place on a cutting surface. Use a moistened, sharp knife to gently cut off both jagged edges of the roll. Slice roll into six even pieces. Repeat procedure five times with the remaining ingredients.
6. For dipping sauce, pour tamari into a small bowl. Stir in wasabi powder until dissolved and add minced ginger. Serve with nori rolls.