Toasted Quinoa Salad with Roasted Chicken
This one-dish meal features quinoa, which is not only a complete protein but also an excellent source of magnesium, a mineral that’s often deficient in people with hypertension. Herbes de Provence is available in the spice section of most supermarkets and specialty food stores.
Ingredients1 medium organic skinless, boneless chicken breast
1½ teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
Cracked black pepper
1 cup of quinoa
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon honey
1 shallot, diced
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons organic olive oil
1½ cups baby arugula
½ cup seeded and diced English cucumber
½ cup tomato, seeded and diced
1½ tablespoons roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
Nutrition FactsPer serving: 693 calories, 37 g fat, (5 saturated), 65 carbohydrates, 27 g protein, 7.6 g fiber, 287 mg sodium (12.5% Daily Value).
Read more Healthy Recipes.
Directions1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Place the chicken breast in a glass or stainless steel baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with Herbes de Provence, and season with salt and pepper. Bake uncovered for about 15 minutes until cooked through and golden on top. Set aside to cool.
3. In a dry skillet over medium to high heat, toast the uncooked quinoa 3 minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn.
4. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add toasted quinoa, simmer covered for 10-15 minutes until the quinoa is tender and water is absorbed. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
5. To make the dressing: Whisk together the lemon juice, honey, shallot, salt, and pepper. Slowly add the olive oil, continuing to whisk until the dressing holds together without separating.
6. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. In a large bowl, toss the chicken, quinoa, arugula, cucumber, tomato, and parsley with the dressing.
7. Divide the mixture between two bowls and serve.