13 ounces sifted spelt flour
2½ teaspoons butter
1 teaspoon sea salt
1½ tablespoons anisette
2 tablespoons water
5 ounces organic raw honey
Zest of 1 orange
Per serving: 283 calories, 5 g fat (1.3 g saturated), 49 g carbohydrates, 9 g protein, 6 g fiber, 332 mg sodium (14% Daily Value).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, butter, salt, eggs, and ½ tablespoon anisette and knead into a ball of dough; cover bowl with a towel and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and let stand for a half hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut dough ball into smaller chunks and roll them into thin slices about 10 inches long. Cut long slices into ½-inch pieces.
- On a thin baking sheet, bake ½-inch struffoli pieces in the oven for 10 minutes, or until dough turns golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While struffoli are cooling, make the honey coating: In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon anisette, water, and honey until just warm, allowing alcohol to evaporate. Add orange zest and stir. Using tongs or a tablespoon, carefully dip struffoli in honey mixture and transfer them to a serving plate.