Spicy Mole Oatmeal Chili
By substituting cholesterol-busting rolled oats for fatty ground beef—and bumping up the anti-inflammatory quotient with chili powder and chipotles—this crowd-pleaser ensures second helpings. <p> </p>
Ingredients2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion (one large yellow onion)
½ cup diced carrots (two small carrots)
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with cilantro and lime or with basil and garlic
2 15.5-ounce cans low-sodium dark-red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon best-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons chipotle sauce
1½ cups rolled oats
7 ounces water
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Nutrition FactsPer serving: 243 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated), 29 g carbohydrates, 12 g protein, 7 g fiber, 540 mg sodium (24% Daily Value).
Read more Healthy Recipes.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot.
- Cook onions and carrots until onions are translucent but not brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add tomatoes to the pot, then add rinsed beans.
- Add cocoa and chili powder until the powders are completely incorporated into the mixture. Add chipotle.
- Add the rolled outs and about half the water. Cook for about 5 minutes and add water as necessary. You want a thick consistency.
- Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes more, until oats break down. (It will actually start to look a little like ground turkey.)
- Serve in individual bowls with a sprinkle of cheese on top.