Meatless Monday Recipe: Spicy Lentil Wrap
Spicy lentil mixture (Dal):
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 cup Vidalia onion, chopped
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1½ teaspoons turmeric
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
Juice from 1 lime (2 tablespoons fresh lime juice)
1 cup small red lentils (dry)
4 cups baby spinach
Wrap (per Serving):
1 8-inch whole wheat tortilla (or whole-wheat
1 small carrot, shredded (about 1⁄3 cup)
10 leaves baby greens
Nutrition FactsServes 5. Per serving: 369 calories, 9.5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 g protein, 55 g carbohydrate, 16 g fiber, 330 mg sodium
1. Heat vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and onion and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Add crushed pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, turmeric and tomato paste and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in chicken broth, lime juice and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 25 to 30 minutes or until thick and lentils are cooked completely, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in spinach and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool completely. (note: Store Dal in fridge for up to two weeks. Rather than pre-assemble and store wraps, make as needed.)
5. To make wrap, spread 1⁄2 cup lentil mixture over tortilla, spreading almost to the edge. Top with shredded carrot and baby greens. Roll up, cut in half and serve.