Spice-Scented Duck with Lentils, Roasted Root Vegetables, and Apple Cider Fennel Reduction
is an alumna
Herbfarm and founder of
this aromatic dish, she uses
sustainably farmed Muscovy or local wild duck, which is even
leaner than chicken.
IngredientsZest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon peppercorns
½ teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
¼ cup rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
6 Muscovy or wild duck breasts
4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
1 shallot, diced
1 small leek, diced
Freshly ground pepper
½ cup Granny Smith or other tart apple, diced
1 cup lentils, rinsed
3 cups chicken stock (or lowsodium broth)
1 cup water
1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
¾ pound parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
¾ pound turnips, peeled and thinly sliced
½ pound fennel, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, cut in half-moons
2 cups apple cider
1 cup vermouth
1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
3 tablespoons butter
Coarse sea salt (optional)
Nutrition FactsPer serving: 640 calories, 30 g fat (9 g saturated), 52 g carbohydrates, 43 g protein, 13 g fiber, 651 mg sodium (29% Daily Value).
Read more Healthy Recipes.
Prepare the duck: In a food
processor, combine lemon zest,
salt, pepper, coriander, fennel,
rosemary, and thyme. With a
sharp knife, score skin of duck.
Rub spice mixture into duck
breast and refrigerate for at
least an hour, ideally overnight.
- Cook the lentils: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan. Add half of diced shallot, diced leek, and season with pepper. Cook 5 minutes, until tender. Add apples, lentils, 2 cups chicken stock, and water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, covered partially, until lentils are tender. Add mint, parsley, and 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar. Keep warm.
- Roast the vegetables: Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, toss parsnips, turnips, fennel, and onion with 3 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, and season with pepper. Roast on a baking sheet for 15 minutes until tender. Cover.
- Prepare the sauce: While vegetables are roasting, put apple cider, vermouth, 1 cup stock, remaining diced shallot, and crushed fennel seeds into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and reduce sauce down to about ¾ cup. Strain out shallot and fennel seeds. Gently reheat the sauce and slowly add 3 tablespoons butter, whisking. Season with pepper to taste, and keep warm.
- Cook the duck: Heat a pan over medium-high heat and lightly coat with oil. Add duck breasts, fat side down, and turn heat down to medium. Slowly brown the skin, about 10 minutes. Turn the duck breasts over and cook about 3 or 4 minutes, then remove from heat for 5 minutes.
- Assemble the dish: Thinly slice duck, then fan out on top of lentils and roasted root vegetables. Garnish with sea salt (optional) and drizzle sauce around the plate, passing remaining sauce at the table.