Soupe au Pistou les Montilles
"Soupe au pistou is one of the world's
greatest vegetarian soups," declares David
Ansel, author of The Soup Peddler's Slow
& Difficult Soups. Ansel learned this
authentic French recipe from a family in
Ingredients1½ cups extra-virgin olive oil
2 leeks, including light-green parts, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
¾ cup white kidney beans, soaked overnight
¾ cup red kidney beans, soaked overnight
2 cups green beans, cut into inch lengths
1 medium potato, peeled and diced finely
2 medium zucchini, diced finely
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
4 cloves garlic
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 Roma tomato, coarsely chopped
¾ cup elbow macaroni
Salt, to taste
Nutrition FactsPer serving: 603 calories, 43 g fat (6 g saturated), 45 g carbohydrates, 12.5 g protein, 11 g fiber, 385 mg sodium (17% Daily Value).
Read more Healthy Recipes.
- In a medium stockpot, heat 1 cup olive oil over medium heat. Sauté leeks and carrots, cover, and sweat for at least 20 minutes.
- Add kidney beans, green beans, potato, zucchini, and diced tomatoes. Cover with water and bring to simmer. Reduce heat and cover. Cook for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the pistou: In a blender or food processor, blend ½ cup olive oil, garlic, basil, and Roma tomato to a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Once beans are very soft and zucchini and potato have disappeared, add macaroni, salt, and more water if needed. Cook 10 minutes or until pasta has softened. Turn off heat.
- Stir in pistou and serve.