Scalloped Pumpkin au Gratin
Sharp cheese and fresh pumpkin make a healthy alternative to scalloped potatoes.
IngredientsServes 12 (3/4 cup per serving)
1 3- to 4-pound Sugar or Winter Luxury pumpkin
2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup grated Emmentaler
3/4 cup grated Gruyére
3/4 cup low-fat milk, warmed
1 cup breadcrumbs
Nutrition FactsPer serving: 124 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated), 10 g carbohydrates, 6 g protein, 1 g fiber, 143 mg sodium (6% Daily Value).
Read more Healthy Recipes.
Directions1. Preheat oven to 300˚F. Quarter pumpkin, removing seeds and string. Place quarters face down on a dry baking sheet and put in center rack of oven.
2. Warm 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook about 8 minutes.
3. Once pumpkin slices are fragrant, about 30 minutes, remove from oven and increase oven temperature to 350˚F. Let pumpkin quarters cool.
4. Once cool, use a vegetable peeler to remove skin. Cut pumpkin into 1/2- to 1/4-inch thick slices and those into halves or thirds.
5. Layer half of the slices in baking dish. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Sprinkle on 1/4 cup of Emmentaler and a 1/4 cup of Gruyére. Add remaining slices and top with remaining oil, salt, and pepper.
6. Pour warm milk over mixture and cover with remaining cheese. Top with onion, then breadcrumbs.
7. Bake for 1 hour, until bubbling at the edges. Serve.