Meatless Monday Recipe: Risotto Cakes with Roasted Veggies
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1∕3 cup diced yellow onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2∕3 cup Arborio rice
1∕2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1∕2 cups vegetable stock
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1∕4-inch strips
1 large portobello mushroom, cut into ¼-inch strips
1 cup peeled and sliced eggplant (1∕4-inch thick)
1∕2 cup sliced red onions
1 red bell pepper, cut in half
1 teaspoon garlic granules
1∕2 teaspoon dried basil
1∕4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1∕2 cup shredded mozzarella
1 cup marinara sauce
Serves 4. PER SERVING: 209 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated), 7 g protein, 31 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 607 mg sodium.
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Sauté the onions and minced garlic until translucent. Add the rice and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1∕4 teaspoon of the salt and begin adding vegetable stock to the pan 1∕2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is creamy. Allow the risotto to cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Preheat a griddle or electric skillet to 350° F. Lightly spray the griddle with canola oil.
3. For each cake, use 1∕3 cup risotto formed into a ball and flattened to 1∕4-inch thickness. Cook on the griddle, flipping once, until crisp on each side. Place the cakes on a baking sheet. Set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
5. Spread the zucchini, mushrooms, eggplant, onions and bell peppers evenly on a separate baking sheet. Lightly spray with canola oil.
6. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic granules, basil, remaining 1∕4 teaspoon salt and the ground black pepper. Dust the vegetables evenly with 1 teaspoon of this garlic seasoning mix.
7. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, or until slightly browned. Remove the skin from the bell pepper and slice the pepper into strips. Mix with other vegetables.
8. Evenly divide the vegetable mixture over each of the 4 risotto cakes. Top each cake with 2 tablespoons mozzarella. Dust with a pinch of the remaining garlic seasoning mix. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
9. Ladle 1∕4 cup marinara sauce on each plate and top with one cake.