Pears Poached in Port with Ginger Crumble and Yogurt Sauce
4 firm ripe pears, peeled
1 cup ruby port
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
3 whole cloves
1 cup apple juice (approximate)
½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ cup crumbled gingersnaps
Serves 4. PER SERVING: 272 calories, 5% fat (1.5 g; 0.4 g saturated), 91% carbs (62 g), 4% protein (3 g), 4 g fiber, 88 mg calcium, 2 mg iron, 60 mg sodium.
1. Stand the pears upright (they can touch slightly) in a pot. Pour in the port and add the cinnamon pieces and cloves. Add in enough apple juice to reach halfway up the pears. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered until the pears soften, about 12 minutes.
2. Gently remove pears with a slotted spoon and set aside at room temperature, reserving the liquid.
3. Return the pot to the stove and turn up the heat. Boil rapidly, stirring occasionally, to reduce the juices to a syrup, about 20 minutes. Strain and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, vanilla, and cardamom.
5. Swirl the yogurt sauce over 4 plates. Place a pear on top of the yogurt sauce, sitting upright. Drizzle the pear with the port reduction. Sprinkle the crumbled gingersnaps on top.