Fresh tomato sauce:
6 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
½ cup chopped or torn basil leaves, loosely packed
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 zucchini, julienned
2 cups corn cut from two ears
4 ounces green beans, cut in 2-inch pieces
1 leek, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienne
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pound protein-enriched rotini or other short pasta
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- To make tomato sauce: In a large serving bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, oil, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently to mix. Cover bowl and leave for at least 2 hours, up to all day. Do not refrigerate.
- To prepare the grilled vegetables: In a large bowl, combine zucchini, corn, green beans, leek, and bell pepper. Add oil and toss to coat.
- Prepare a medium fire in the grill with a lightly oiled vegetable grill rack in place.
- Begin heating a large pot of salted water for pasta.
- Grill vegetables, tossing frequently, until tender, about 7 minutes. Add to tomato sauce.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook until tender, according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta cooking water. Immediately add pasta to sauce and toss gently, adding as much of the pasta cooking water as needed if mixture seems too dry. Season generously with salt and pepper. Serve at once, passing Parmesan cheese at the table.
Read more Healthy Recipes.