1⁄3 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar or other granulated sugar
¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
Salt, to taste
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon water
1 block firm tofu (about 12 ounces), cut into ¼-inch cubes
3 tablespoons canola, coconut or other oil, divided
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
2 green onions, green and white parts, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 cup cubed pineapple
12 egg roll wraps
1. To make the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth, soy sauce or tamari, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ketchup, sugar, 2 teaspoons of the cornstarch and salt to taste. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg white and the water. add the tofu cubes and toss them to coat. Stir in the remaining ¼ cup cornstarch and mix well.
3. Heat a wok or a large skillet over medium-high heat. add 2 tablespoons of the oil, swirl to coat the pan and then add the tofu. Cook the tofu until golden on all sides, about 6 minutes. remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan, swirl to coat and add the green and red bell pepper, green onions, garlic and ginger. Cook until the peppers are tender, about 1 minute, stirring often. Pour in the sauce and cook until slightly thickened, about 30 seconds. add the tofu and pineapple and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. remove the pan from heat.
5. Preheat the oven to 375° f. Press the egg roll wraps into 12 medium muffin cups. fill each egg roll cup with the tofu mixture, fold over the tops to seal and brush with oil.
6. Bake until the egg rolls are golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before unmolding. Serve warm.
SERVES 6. Per serving (2 pieces): 370 calories, 11.5 g fat (1.5 g saturated fat), 13 g protein, 54 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 627 mg sodium