1 spaghetti squash (about 3 pounds)
¼ cup pine nuts
1½ tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Slice the squash in half, pierce the skin with a fork a few times and place facedown on an oiled baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. The strands should be cooked but still al dente.
3. Roast the pine nuts in the same oven while you are baking the squash: Take a small baking dish and spread out the pine nuts in one layer. Roast for 7 to 10 minutes. (Pine nuts will roast quickly because of their fat content.)
4. In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes.
5. Remove the squash from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. While still hot, spoon the squash out of the shell and mix with the garlic mixture in a serving dish. Sprinkle pine nuts on top.
Serves 4. Per serving: 205 calories, 12.5 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 3 g protein, 22 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 50 mg sodium