Meatless Monday Recipe: Roasted Vegetable Stew with Couscous Pilaf
ROASTED VEGETABLE STEW
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 large eggplant, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium yellow squash, cut into 2-inch pieces
¼ cup olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2½ cups vegetable broth
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with their juice
1 teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1½ cups vegetable broth
1 cup whole wheat couscous
¼ cup golden raisins
¼ cup chopped toasted pecans
¼ cup chopped parsley, plus additional for garnish
Per serving: 298 calories, 14 g fat (1.6 g saturated), 42 g carbohydrates, 7 g protein, 11 g fi ber, 578 mg sodium (26% Daily Value).
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a large bowl, toss bell peppers, eggplant, and squash with olive oil. Sprinkle in salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Pour vegetables onto a tray and spread out in one layer. Roast the vegetables for 25 minutes or until tender.
3. In a large saucepan, combine 2½ cups broth, tomatoes, cumin, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Add in roasted vegetables and reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
5. For couscous pilaf: In a medium saucepan, bring 1½ cups broth to a boil. Add couscous and raisins. Stir to combine, then remove from heat. Let couscous stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in pecans and parsley.
6. To serve, spoon about ½ cup of couscous into a shallow bowl and top with the vegetable stew. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.