2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 3∕4-inch chunks
10 ounces butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3∕4-inch chunks
6 ounces portobello mushrooms (2 large), stems removed
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1∕4-inch slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons each fresh basil and thyme, chopped finely and combined
2 zucchini, sliced into 3∕8-inch diagonal strips
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced into ¼-inch pieces
1∕2 large red onion, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
4 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, cut into chunks
8 ounces nonfat ricotta cheese
2 ounces Parmesan cheese (preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano)
11∕2 cups canned tomato sauce
1∕2 6-ounce can tomato paste
1∕4 cup wheat germ
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2. Group the potato, squash, portobello mushrooms and eggplant by vegetable on a nonstick baking pan and brush with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Season with a sprinkling of the basil-thyme herb mixture, and bake for approximately 30 minutes. Let cool.
3. Slice the portobello mushrooms into 1∕4-inch pieces.
4. Place the zucchini slices on a baking sheet and brush with 1 ½ teaspoons oil. Season with a sprinkling of the herb mixture and roast for 15 minutes.
5. Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet. Sauté the yellow pepper until half done, about 3 minutes, season with a sprinkling of the herb mixture, transfer to a bowl and let cool. Sauté the red onion and shiitake mushrooms in 1 ½ teaspoon oil until half done (about 3 minutes), season with a sprinkling of the herb mixture and let cool.
6. Mix the ricotta cheese in a bowl with about 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of the herb mixture; set aside.
7. In a separate bowl, mix the tomato sauce with the tomato paste and add the wheat germ.
8. Assembly: Take a casserole dish and spread approximately ¾ cup of the tomato mixture on the bottom. Next, layer the potatoes across the bottom of the dish, then the squash, then half of the cheese mixture. Take another ¾ cup of tomato mixture and layer it on top of the ricotta. Add a layer of eggplant. Spread the pepper and shiitake mixture on top of the eggplant. Add a layer of the remaining ricotta mixture, then the portobello mushrooms, then the remaining tomato mixture. Layer the zucchini decoratively on top and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
9. Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 60 minutes at 375° F
Serves 4. Per serving: 415 calories, 12 g fat (3.5 g saturated), 22 g protein, 57 g carbohydrates, 12 g fiber, 1025 mg sodium