1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
2 medium whole carrots, peeled and chopped
3 cups vegetable stock
1 1/2 pounds small dried gluten-free pasta
4 tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee
6 tablespoons gluten-free flour (or a blend of fine brown rice flour, etc.)
1 12-ounce can of low-fat evaporated milk
1 egg and 3 egg whites, beaten
8 ounces low-fat grated cheese
1. In a saucepan, sauté onion in the olive oil, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and stir. Transfer onions from the saucepan to a bowl and set aside. Add remaining salt, carrots and vegetable stock, bringing mixture to a boil.
2. Lower heat to medium-low and cover the saucepan while vegetables simmer (12 minutes). Add the onions and puree the mix with an immersion blender until smooth.
3. Boil the pasta, drain and set aside to cool.
4. Melt butter or ghee over medium heat, whisking in the flour blend to form a roux, until clumps disappear and the color lightens (about 4 minutes). Remove from the heat and set aside to cool briefly.
5. Preheat oven to 350° F. Add the evaporated milk and roux to the vegetables, stirring to combine. Add this mixture to the cooked pasta and stir gently to combine. Add the eggs and grated cheese, and pour the mixture into a greased non-glass casserole dish. Stir again and bake for 30 minutes until golden and bubbly on top.
Serves 6. Per serving: 605 calories, 14 g fat (6.5 g saturated fat), 15 g protein, 105 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 1,025 mg sodium.