For the lentils:
½ cup French lentils
1½ cups purified water
1 1-inch piece of kombu
1∕4 onion, chopped
1-2 teaspoons soy sauce
For the salad:
11∕3 cups purified water, plus additional water for blanching
1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
2 pinches sea salt
3 baby carrots, washed and diced
1 cup whole-wheat couscous
2 cups sugar snap peas, washed, halved, with ends trimmed off
To make the lentils:
1. Place the lentils in a fine mesh colander, rinse under running water.
2. In a small saucepan, combine lentils, purified water, kombu and onion.
3. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Place a flame deflector over flame and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes.
4. Turn off the flame and allow pan to sit, covered, for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the soy sauce, cover and cook for another 2 minutes and set aside.
To make the salad:
1. In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring water to a boil. Blanch snap peas for 45 seconds and drain. Transfer snap peas to a bowl and set aside.
2. In the same pan over medium-high heat, combine purified water, oil, sea salt and carrots. Bring to a boil.
3. Add couscous, stir well and cover. Turn off the flame and allow the pan to sit for 10 minutes.
4. Using a wooden spoon moistened with water, stir in the blanched snap peas and cooked lentils.
Serves 4. Per serving: 300 calories, 1 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 15 g protein, 60 g carbohydrate, 15 g fiber, 260 mg sodium.