High-Energy Breakfast Smoothie with Muesli
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chopped almonds
1/3 cup buckwheat groats
1/3 cup wheat germ
3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
2/3 cup honey
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 teaspoons almond extract
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup dried apricots, diced
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 cups goat's or cow's milk vanilla yogurt
2 cups frozen blueberries
2 bananas, sliced
Serves 4. Per serving: 307 calories, 27% fat (9 g; 1.4 g saturated), 63% carbs (48 g), 10% protein (8 g), 5 g fiber, 137 mg calcium, 1.4 mg iron, 46 mg sodium.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a large, heavy baking sheet.
2. Toss the rolled oats, almonds, buckwheat groats, wheat germ, and ground flaxseeds in a large bowl to blend.
3. Combine the honey, canola oil, and orange peel in a small, heavy saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove the honey mixture from the heat and stir in the almond extract.
4. Stir the honey mixture into the oat mixture, and spread on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
5. Cool completely (the mixture will crisp as it cools). Stir in the dried cherries, apricots, and raisins.
6. Combine the yogurt, berries, and bananas in a blender until smooth and thick, stopping the machine and stirring occasionally as needed.
7. Divide the yogurt mixture among 4 wide-mouth glasses. Sprinkle 2/3 cap of muesli over each serving and serve immediately.
8. Store remaining muesli in an airtight jar or resealable plastic bag for up to 2 weeks.
Smoothie image via Shutterstock