Grilled Halibut with Panzanella, Vinaigrette, and Arugula Pesto
Seafood has always been a staple of the New England diet, but in the past century, once-abundant stocks of Atlantic fish have been depleted because of industrial fishing methods such as trawling. At his Portland, Maine, restaurant, Five Fifty-Five, Steve Corry, one of <em>Food & Wine's</em> Best New Chefs for 2007, serves as much line-caught and sustainably farmed local fish as possible.
Ingredients4 large shallots
Juice of 2 lemons
Freshly ground pepper
7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 ounces arugula
1 large clove garlic
1/8 cup pine nuts
Small sheet pan of focaccia, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 fresh halibut steaks (about 20 ounces total)
1 medium cucumber, sliced into thin strips
1 small bulb fennel, cleaned and shaved thin
1 celery heart, sliced
1 large orange bell pepper, julienned
8 grape tomatoes, halved
Nutrition FactsPer serving: 800 calories, 35 g fat (4 g saturated), 80 g carbohydrates, 46 g protein, 6 g fiber, 784 mg sodium (34% Daily Value).
Read more Healthy Recipes.
- Assemble the vinaigrette: Preheat oven to 450°F. Peel and roast shallots until golden, about 20 minutes. In a food processor, combine roasted shallots, juice of 1 lemon, and pepper to taste. When blended, whisk in 3 tablespoons olive oil. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate.
- Assemble the pesto: Wipe the food processor clean, then combine arugula, garlic, pine nuts, 4 tablespoons olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, and pepper to taste. When smoothly blended, transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate.
- Reduce oven to 275°F and toast focaccia cubes on a thin baking sheet until browned, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Grill the halibut: Brush grill with canola oil and preheat to medium hot. Place steaks on grill until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Loosen carefully with a thin metal spatula to prevent sticking and remove to a plate or cutting board.
- While halibut is grilling, prepare the panzanella: Arrange cucumber slices on plates to form a ring. In a large bowl, toss toasted focaccia cubes, fennel, celery heart, bell pepper, and tomatoes with most of the vinaigrette. Place panzanella inside the ring of cucumber slices. Set aside until halibut steaks are cooked through.
- Assemble the dish: Place each grilled halibut steak on top of panzanella, and finish with a dollop of pesto. Drizzle remaining vinaigrette on the cucumber slices and serve.