Grilled French Fries & Ketchup
2 pounds roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch ground cloves
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon tomato paste
4 large russet potatoes, sliced 1/2-inch
thick and 1-inch wide
6 tablespoons cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups ice cubes
Serves 6. Per serving: 397 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated), 61 g carbohydrates, 7 g protein, 7 g fiber, 643 mg sodium (29% Daily Value).
1. For the ketchup: Coat tomatoes in 2 tablespoons olive oil and place face down on grill. Cook over medium-high heat until dark grill marks appear. Transfer tomatoes to a bowl.
2. In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté garlic and onion in 1 tablespoon oil for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, salt, and spices, and cook covered for about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring often. In a food processor, purée until smooth then transfer back to the pot. Add mustard, vinegar, maple syrup, and tomato paste; let cool before serving.
3. For the fries: Prepare a pot of water for steaming. In the meantime, mix cornmeal and salt on a large plate.
4. Steam potatoes for 15 minutes. Then, in a big mixing bowl, combine ice with water and submerge potatoes until cooled.
5. In a large bowl, toss potatoes with 3 tablespoons oil. Lightly dredge in cornmeal and transfer to a baking sheet.
6. Grill potatoes over medium heat about 3 minutes, then flip and repeat. Serve immediately with fresh ketchup.