Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Ginger Cookie Crust
2 cups ginger-cookie crumbs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
24 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces goat cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 vanilla beans
3 whole eggs
Serves 16. Per serving: 460 calories, 29 g fat (17.5 g saturated), 42 g carbohydrates, 9 g protein, 0.5 g fiber, 370 mg sodium (15% Daily Value).
1. Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, combine crust ingredients. Press into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes. Let cool on wire rack. Wrap the bottom and sides of the springform pan well with aluminum foil so no water can get inside.
2. In a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or a bowl with an electric mixer set on medium speed), beat together cheeses and sugar until smooth. Fold in cornstarch to incorporate.
3. Split vanilla beans down the middle lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Beat into cheese mixture. Scrape the bowl frequently in order to avoid lumps.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time until mixture is smooth.
5. Pour mixture into the springform pan. Tap pan gently on the counter to release any air bubbles.
6. Set the springform pan in a roasting pan large enough to fit, with 1 inch clearance all around. Place roasting pan on the middle rack in the oven. Pour hot water into roasting pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Close oven door.
7. Bake 1 hour or until just set. (Center should jiggle slightly.) Turn off oven and allow cake to cool inside with the door slightly ajar. Remove from oven and water bath and let cool completely on wire rack.