2 cups whole spelt flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill brand)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1∕2 teaspoon salt
1∕3 cup coconut oil, plus more for brushing
1∕3 cup agave nectar, plus more for brushing
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1∕4 cup hot water
1 cup fresh raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 ̊ F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the oil, agave nectar and vanilla and stir together until a thick, slightly dry batter is formed. Pour hot water into the batter and mix. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the raspberries just until they are marbled throughout the batter.
3. For each scone, scoop 1∕3 cup batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Space the scoops approximately 1-inch apart to allow them to spread. Lightly brush the tops of each with the remaining coconut oil.
4. Bake the scones on the center rack for 14 minutes, rotating the sheet 180 degrees after 7 minutes. The finished scones will be golden and slightly firm. Remove from the oven and brush with agave nectar.
5. Let the scones stand on the sheet for 15 minutes, then carefully slide a spatula under each and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store the scones in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Recipes reprinted from the book BABYCAKES by Erin McKenna. Copyright © 2009 by Erin McKenna. Photographs copyright © 2009 by Tara Donne. Published by Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House, Inc.
Serves 8. Per serving: 277 calories, 12 g fat (9 g saturated), 4 g protein, 38 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 353 mg sodium.