2 thick slices of cheddar cheese bread
(about 1 inch thick)
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 large eggs
Kosher salt, to taste
Sharp white cheddar cheese, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Serves 2. Per serving: 226 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated), 19 g carbohydrates, 11g protein, 1 g fiber, 450 mg sodium (20% Daiy Value).
1. Using a cookie cutter, cut a small circle about 2 inches in diameter out of the center of each piece of bread, making sure there is at least a half-inch or so of bread left between the hole and the crust. (If you can resist eating it, reserve the remaining bread for croutons or bread crumbs.)
2. Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat and swirl to coat the entire cooking surface. Add bread and begin toasting one side.
3. Working quickly, break one egg into a small cup or bowl and gently slip it into the center of one of the pieces of bread. Repeat with remaining egg before the bread starts to brown. Cover the pan, and cook until the bottom side of bread is golden-brown and eggs have started to set, about 3 minutes.
4. Using a spatula, carefully flip bread and egg to toast the other side. Replace the cover and cook for another 3 minutes or so, until bread is golden-brown.
5. When the yolks are mostly set but still slightly runny in the middle, remove bread and eggs from the pan and place on two plates. Sprinkle each dish with a pinch or two of salt. Using a cheese grater or a carrot peeler, place a few large shavings of white cheddar across each egg. Top with a grinding or two of black pepper, and serve.