Coconut-Crusted Sweet Potato Pie
Maple syrup adds a subtle note to naturally sweet coconut and sweet potato; crystallized ginger can be a sophisticated (and delicious) garnish.
- 2½ cups unsweetened coconut, flaked
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups boiled and mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup tofu, light firm
- 2/3 cup organic maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Crystallized ginger (optional garnish)
Nutrition FactsPer serving: 410 calories, 28 g fat (28 g saturated), 38 g carbohydrates, 5.3 g protein, 6 g fiber, 65 mg sodium (3% Daily Value).
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Mix coconut and butter in a bowl. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove crust from the oven and increase heat to 350°F.
- In a food processor, combine mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, tofu, maple syrup, and spices. Puree until smooth. Pour mixture into the coconut crust and bake until the top is dry, about 30 minutes. Check to see if it's ready by inserting a knife into center of pie. If it doesn't come out clean, bake for another 10 to 15 minutes. Cool on a rack; garnish with crystallized ginger when cool, if desired.