Chocolate Roulade with Ricotta, Chocolate, and Pine Nut Filling
A daily dose of dark chocolate may be just what the doctor ordered. Get healthy with this delicious recipe.
Ingredients2 teaspoons melted butter plus flour for the pan
5 large or extra-large eggs, separated
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder plus extra for dusting filling
2 cups ricotta cheese, well drained
2 tablespoons sugar
Grated zest of 1 large orange
2 1/2 ounces 70 percent dark chocolate, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
Nutrition Facts340 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated), 24 g carbohydrates, 14 g protein, 2 g fiber, 170 mg sodium (7% Daily Value).
Directions1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a jellyroll pan (a sheet pan with sides) with parchment paper. (Dab a little butter on pan to help paper adhere.) Brush melted butter over paper, then dust with flour.
2. In a small bowl, stir together egg yolks and vanilla.
3. In a large clean bowl, with electric mixer on Low, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar until foamy. Increase speed to High and gradually beat in sugar until mixture forms peaks that are firm but not stiff.
4. Fold a large spoonful of whites into the yolks. Pour this mixture over the remaining whites; fold just to combine.
5. Gradually sift together cornstarch, flour, and cocoa powder over the whites, then fold in completely. Do not overmix, or batter will deflate.
6. Pour onto prepared pan and spread evenly over the surface. Bake 10 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and immediately sift a tablespoon or so of cocoa powder over the surface. Lay a second piece of parchment over the top and flip pan over onto the countertop. Peel away buttered parchment.
8. With the long side facing you, roll cake with the parchment. Let cool 1 minute then unroll. Rest 1 minute, then roll again; allow to cool completely.
9. To make filling: In a food processor, combine cheese and sugar until smooth. Scrape into a bowl; stir in orange zest and chopped chocolate.
10. Unroll the cake. Spread with filling and sprinkle with pine nuts. Reroll cake and secure with toothpicks if necessary; trim edges. Serve immediately or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate. (Just before serving, dust lightly with cocoa powder.)