This recipe is about as healthy as a sweet treat can get while still tasting good.
Ingredients1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup soy flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup unrefined or demerara sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
8 dried plums (prunes)
½ cup Greek-style nonfat yogurt
1 cup nonfat soy milk or nonfat milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Rind of one orange (about 1½ tablespoons)
Nutrition FactsPer serving: 97 calories, 2 g fat (0.4 g saturated), 19 g carbohydrates, 3 g protein, 2 g fiber, 134 mg sodium (6% Daily Value).
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease an 8 x 8" square pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, sugar, and cocoa, and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, puree dried plums, then add yogurt, soy milk, oil, vanilla, and orange rind and blend until smooth. (Note: It's very important that the plums be completely pureed to ensure a smooth batter consistency.) Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring until well-combined.
- Spoon the very thick batter into the greased pan, spread evenly, and bake for 25 minutes, or until the brownies spring back when touched.
- Cool the brownies to room temperature before cutting into 20 squares.