Chicken Stir-Fry with Broccoli, Spinach & Red Peppers
This stir-fry takes 40 minutes if you cook the brown rice and prepare the tamari cashews while the chicken marinates. The vitamin C in broccoli and peppers help your body absorb the energizing iron in spinach.
Ingredients3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
¼ teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon minced jalapeño, seeds removed
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1 pound organic chicken tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon canola oil
½ cup roasted unsalted cashews
4 tablespoons tamari
1 cup short-grain brown rice
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 head of broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
5 cups spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons peanut oil
Nutrition FactsPer serving: 412 calories, 19 g fat (3 g saturated), 38 g carbohydrates, 25 g protein, 5 g fiber, 767 mg sodium (34% Daily Value).
Read more Healthy Recipes.
Directions1. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons sesame oil, lime zest and juice, rice wine vinegar, honey, jalapeños, garlic, ginger, and cilantro. Add chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the cashews: Heat the canola oil in a medium skillet. Add cashews and stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon tamari and stir until coated and crisp, about 20 seconds. Set aside on a plate to cool.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine brown rice and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for another 25 minutes, until all water is absorbed. Cover and keep warm.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining tablespoon toasted sesame oil, tamari, and red pepper flakes to make the stir-fry sauce. Set aside.
5. After 30 minutes, take the marinated chicken out of the refrigerator, drain, and discard the marinade.
6. Heat a wok or large sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, add the peanut oil and chicken and stir-fry until golden, about 3 minutes, then add the pepper and broccoli. Continue to cook and stir for another 3 minutes. Add the spinach and the stir-fry sauce, toss well and remove from heat.
7. To serve, place ½ cup cooked rice on each plate and divide the chicken mixture among the plates. Top with a handful of tamari cashews.