Asparagus Tofu Stir-Fry with Black Rice
1 pound firm organic tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
8 tablespoons peanut or grapeseed oil
1 cup black rice
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon chile paste
1 onion, halved and cut into half-moons
2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
1 pound asparagus, cut into 1 1/2-inch diagonals; and lightly blanched
1 yellow pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced into thin strips
½ cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon sugar or agave syrup
½ teaspoon dark sesame oil
Per serving: 393 calories, 18 g fat (3 g saturated), 48 g carbohydrates, 15 g protein, 6 g fiber, 255 mg sodium (11% Daily Value).
1. Drain and blot tofu. In nonstick pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium high and fry tofu, turning as needed until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Prepare rice according to package directions.
3. In wok or large saucepan over high heat, add 3 tablespoons oil, then garlic, ginger, scallions, and chili paste; stir for about 30 seconds until aromatic.
4. Add 3 tablespoons oil, onions, and mushrooms and cook until vegetables start to soften, about 2 minutes.
5. Add asparagus and pepper, cooking so vegetables remain brightly colored, another 2 minutes.
6. Stir in tofu until heated, about 1 minute.
7. Combine broth with soy sauce, cornstarch, and sugar; add to wok. Simmer until vegetables are tender but still firm.
8. Turn off heat and stir in sesame oil.
9. Serve immediately with black rice.