1 9-inch whole wheat frozen pie shell (such as Whole Foods 365 Organic Pie Shell)
1 large onion, halved and sliced into thin half-moons
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 asparagus spears, trimmed and peeled
1/3 cup grated Gruyére cheese
10 sun-dried, oil-cured olives, halved and pitted
1. Defrost pie shell for about 20 minutes until soft and pliable.
2. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
3. Meanwhile, caramelize onions in heavy saucepan with butter, oil, and salt over low heat until golden, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. Blanch asparagus in boiling water for two minutes.
5. Put pie shell on a cookie sheet and flatten, taking care to repair any cracks by squeezing with your fingers.
6. Spread onions evenly on pie dough leaving a one-inch border. Add cheese, and arrange asparagus spears and olives in a pattern of your choice.
7. Fold the dough border over and pleat edges using the end of a knife.
8. Bake for about 13 minutes until dough is golden. Slide onto serving plate, cut into wedges, and serve.
Serves 2. Per serving: 480 calories, 38 g fat (14 g saturated), 31 g carbohydrates, 8 g protein, 5 g fiber, 746 mg sodium (33% Daily Value).