- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup almond meal (such as the Bob's Red Mill brand), or finely ground blanched almonds
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 23-ounce jar chunky applesauce
- 4 tablespoons unrefined safflower oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the whole-wheat flour, almond meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in a large bowl; whisk together to thoroughly combine. Using a spoon, add the walnuts to the flour mixture.
- Combine the applesauce and oil in a large bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Add the applesauce mixture to the flour mixture and stir until ingredients are evenly combined.
- Place paper baking cups in a muffin pan. Spoon the muffin mixture into the cups, distributing evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
395 calories, 28% fat (12 g; 1.7 g saturated), 43% carbs (42 g), 29% protein (29 g), 4.78 g fiber, 68.5 mg calcium, 5.66 mg iron, 279 mg sodium.