Put A Hex On Warts
To avoid getting warts in the first place, Gaeddert recommends oral formulas that combine astragalus with reishi and maitake mushrooms, which may promote the healthy function of the immune system. In addition, follow these tips to stay HPV-free:
• Wash your hands often.
• Avoid biting your nails, which can open skin to infection.
•Use moisturizer to heal cracked and damaged skin.
• Wear plastic sandals around swimming pools or in public showers.
• Use foot powders and change socks regularly to keep your feet dry.
When To Go Pro
Common warts are benign and easy to treat at home. However, always check with your doctor if:
• A wart is painful, looks infected, or doesn't go away with home treatment.
• You have anal or genital warts.
• You're diabetic or have a weakened immune system.
• A wart changes color or appearance.
In addition to cryotherapy, a dermatologist may offer several options to treat warts:
cantharidin--a topical treatment that causes blistering under the wart, lifting it off the skin
cutting or burning--though this can leave scarring
immunotherapy--injecting an agent to provoke an allergic response
pulsed dye laser--a generally non-scarring technique that destroys blood vessels supporting the wart
photodynamics--a promising therapy using non-ionizing radiation