Fight Hay Fever with Homeopathy
Homeopaths believe that any substance that produces a set of symptoms can also resolve those symptoms. For example, the homeopathic preparation Euphrasia causes watery, itchy eyes and a runny nose in a healthy person, "but if someone has those symptoms already, then Euphrasia would resolve them," says Kate Birch, a homeopathic practitioner and vice president of the North American Society of Homeopaths.
Homeopathic remedies–small sugar-based pellets that are placed under the tongue to dissolve–can provide prompt relief from hay fever's woes, according to Birch.
For chronic allergies, you may need to work with a homeopathic practitioner for a year or more to address the underlying cause of your symptoms, such as inherited tendencies or hyperactivity of the immune system. But for acute symptoms, try one of the following.
· Sabadilla, derived from the seeds of the tropical sabadilla lily, to ease sneezing
· Arsenicum album, made from the metallic element arsenic, for a drippy nose accompanied by irritation in the nasal passages, eyes, and throat
· Allium cepa, also known as "red onion," for watery eyes with burning discharge
· Euphrasia, extracted from a small flowering plant, for bland watery eyes with burning nasal discharge
· Natrum muriaticum, made from table salt, for a copious runny nose, sneezing, and salty mucus that irritates the upper lips and the nostrils around the nose
· Nux vomica, originating from the Strychnine evergreen tree, to treat daytime runny nose accompanied by nighttime stuffy nose, particularly one caused by environmental irritants
It may take some trial and error to find the remedy for you. &qut;The best scenario is to take one or two doses in the acute phase of allergic symptoms, and see the symptoms go away for the rest of the season," says Birch. "If you have to repeat the remedy, it's not the right one."
Look for: Birch's preferred brands of over–the–counter homeopathic remedies are Boiron, found in health food stores and at boironusa.com, and Washington Homeopathic Products available at homeopathyworks.com.
Dosage: When using over–the–counter remedies, go with 30c (which indicates one part remedy to 100 parts water or alcohol, diluted 30 times) taken three times daily on a clean palette. Homeopathic remedies should be taken only when symptoms arise. See a practitioner for a more complete assessment or any time a remedy does not work for you.