These 4 mind-body techniques can relieve chronic pain without medication.
4 of 5 | Autogenic Training
Autogenic training involves speaking (and repeating) positive phrases while focusing on different parts of the body. “Saying these phrases creates images in the brain that stimulate the autonomic nervous system, which is associated with relaxation and a lowered heart rate,” says James S. Gordon, M.D., founder and director of The Center for Mind-Body Medicine in Washington, D.C.
“It’s really a form of self-hypnosis,” Gordon explains. Autogenic training helps you relax into the pain instead of tensing against it, which is what we often do, he says, adding that being able to relax makes all the difference in the world.
Sit or lie down quietly, close your eyes, and repeat each of the following six phrases— slowly—six times:
1. My arms are warm and heavy. I am at peace.
2. My legs are warm and heavy. I am at peace.
3. My heartbeat is calm and regular. I am at peace.
4. My abdomen radiates warmth. I am at peace.
5. My forehead is cool. I am at peace.
6. My breathing is easy. I am at peace.