Queen of Green
Test your green IQ
“Making greener choices at home pays off in the end,” says Sara Snow. Take her quiz to find out how much money and energy you can save—and how much trash you can keep out of landfills—by adopting a few easy eco habits.
1. At what temperature range should you keep your refrigerator for optimum efficiency?
(a) 31 to 34 degrees (b) 35 to 38 degrees (c) 41 to 44 degrees
2. How much water will you save if you don’t rinse your dishes before loading them into the dishwasher?
(a) 400 gallons per year (b) 4,000 gallons per year (c) 6,500 gallons per year
3. How much longer do compact fluorescent lightbulbs last than standard incandescent bulbs?
(a) twice as long (b) five times as long (c) 10 times as long
4. What percentage of the trash most Americans throw away can be recycled?
(a) 45% (b) 65% (c) 75%
5. How many pounds of CO2 and how much money will you save every year by shutting down your computer for 12 out of 24 hours?
(a) 576 pounds and $44 (b) 800 pounds and $60 (c) 1152 pounds and $88
1. (b); 2. (c); 3. (c); 4. (c); 5. (a)