“When your makeup palette is monochromatic, the effect can go flat,” says New York City-based makeup artist Susan Lucero. But a highlighter helps your favorite features pop. Highlighters come in creamy white, pale pink or peach, and sheer metallics; they are best applied to areas that reflect light naturally, such as brow bones and cheekbones. Try mixing a dab in your foundation and apply a thin line down the bridge of your nose for a slimming effect. Or add drama with bit of highlighter on the inside corners of your eyes.
We like: Josie Maran Argan Illuminizer ($28; sephora.com), Laura Mercier Illuminating Powder ($35; lauramercier.com) and Urban Decay Urbanglow Cream Highlight ($24; sephora.com).
FACE THE DAY
“An even skin tone is key to the nude look,” says makeup artist Susan Lucero. To find the right foundation color, try different shades on your face (not the back of your hand) and walk outside with a mirror to see which blends into your skin. (Direct sunlight is key in this process!) Also, take the time of year into account: If it’s summer, you’ll have a little more color in your face, even if you wear sunscreen daily. If your foundation is too light or dark, the effect can be aging. For blush, choose a shade most like the color you turn when you flush naturally.
1. tarte Natural Beauty Cheek Stain ($30; sephora .com) contains goji and açaí berries, which are loaded with antioxidants to help keep skin healthy.
2. Physician’s Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Correcting Concealer ($9; drugstore.com) is a trio of shades designed to cover up blemishes and dark circles. Plus, they snap together for perfect portability.
3. Diorskin Nude Natural Glow Fresh Powder Makeup SPF 10 ($46; sephora.com) contains 100 percent natural mineral pigments and reduces shine without getting cakey.
4. jane iredale 24 Karat Gold Dust ($12; shop.janeiredale .com) uses real gold to create a sophisticated shimmer.
5. Avon Healthy Makeup Liquid Foundation SPF 10 ($12; shop.avon.com) contains apple and pomegranate extracts and leaves skin with a satin-smooth feel.