Fruit fragrances and essential oils can work magic on stressed tresses, protecting hair from and combating harmful daily offenses such as shampooing and heat styling. Although they all pack a host of benefits, oranges are the most stellar citrus when it comes to keeping strands in tip-top shape, says John Masters, founder of John Masters Organics, because they add moisture and shine to help revive and maintain the health of the hair. Sweet orange oil (Citrus aurantium dulcis) is also an effective anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent, which makes it a great choice for gently cleansing strands and scalp.
1. Earthly Elements Brazilian Citrus Color Preserving Shampoo and Conditioner ($13 each; solgar.com) help protect hair from everyday stresses such as sun exposure and heat styling, and contain green tea extract, citrus oil and cranberry seed oil.
2. Alcohol-free John Masters Organics Sweet Orange & Silk Protein Styling Gel ($18; johnmasters.com) provides nonsticky hold with silk protein, while mandarin orange extract nourishes and hydrates parched strands.
3. Aubrey Organics NuStyle Organic Hairspray ($10; aubrey-organics.com) holds hair in place with plant-based, certified organic ingredients such as quinoa protein, orange peel and lemon peel for control and volume, plus lime oil to add shine.
As we age, our skin naturally loses collagen and elastin, which contributes to the formation of lines, wrinkles, rough patches and sagging. To the rescue: alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) and stabilized vitamin C (also called ascorbic acid). “AHAs help loosen dead skin cells from the skin’s surface,” Wu says. “This makes skin softer to the touch and more even-toned and radiant.” And in a study published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, AHAs improved the quality of elastic fibers in the skin and increased collagen density, reducing the effects of photoaged skin. Like AHAs, vitamin C also can thicken skin, Wu says, which makes it less prone to wrinkling.
1. Stimulating notes of lemon, lemongrass and lime in Intelligent Nutrients Certified Organic Anti-Aging Total Body Elixir: Awaken ($30; intelligentnutrients.com) lift the spirits while oils from oranges and grapefruit moisturize.
2. REN Resurfacing AHA Concentrate ($45; sephora.com) contains fruit-derived AHAs to help loosen and remove dead skin cells, revealing more evenly toned skin.
3. Natural fruit acids derived from bilberry and orange in Ahava Age Control Night Nourishment ($60; ahavaus .com) aid in the removal of dead cells, revealing smoother skin, and Dunaliella algae, vitamin E and date extract protect against photo-aging.